What religion would you define your self as practicing?

General Magical Discussion

What religion would you define your self as practicing?

Postby RevScarecrow » Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 am

What religion would you define your self as practicing? It seems that this site is very much about ceremonial magic but from whom or what you believe this ability comes from is something I'm trying to grasp. I don't mean to label people as one thing or another as the simplification would really just bring in claustrophobic stereotypes. So please if you do answer be as broad and free in expressing it as possible. We are who we are, and that doesn't always mean we color inside the lines of terms. More often than not we aren't a pure form of "X" identifying factor...

I seem to have gone on a rant about self identification. I really am just interested in what peoples beliefs are.
RevScarecrow
Initiate

Re: What religion would you define your self as practicing?

Postby [V] » Tue May 11, 2010 3:20 am

Magick and Religion are completely different.
I don't consider myself religious, but I do consider myself spiritual.

The religious man believes in God. The Magician Knows god - Vovin's signature.

8-)
[V]
[V]
Adept

Postby MaestroNestor » Tue May 11, 2010 3:33 am

[V] wrote:Magick and Religion are completely different.

8-)

If you know God would that not make you a believer?
MaestroNestor

Postby [V] » Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 am

knowing = believing, but believing ≠ Knowing hence the cool phrase.
[V]
[V]
Adept

Postby MaestroNestor » Tue May 11, 2010 6:32 am

To answer the OP I find it hard to not believe in God, angels and demons when you work with them. As a traditional grimoire magician you need a belief in the beings and have a rather good understanding of the religions the grimoire systems are built on. That being said your belief can differ a lot from the normal religions. I believe in many Gods and different spirits. Most older magical systems are based on a religion so they are very important for you to be able to understand the system. I also believe that some religions and magical systems are regional and not international.
MaestroNestor

Postby RevScarecrow » Tue May 11, 2010 1:03 pm

8-)

I understand the difference. I'm just curious how magick has affected your religious preferences. Enochian system seems to require an awful lot of belief (or knowledge in the quote's case) in the Christan mythos. But there are so many ways to approach it like Maestro Nestor said. Including ones that don't require believe in the mythos.
RevScarecrow
Initiate

Postby thesenior » Tue May 11, 2010 3:52 pm

My personal definition which separates Religion from Spirituality is the organized nature of Religion with a hierarchy which tells you what is right and what is wrong and judges you based on your following their organized system of beliefs. In Spirituality, no matter what system you may feel an affinity for, you learn from it and then come to your own conclusions and grow and adapt as you grow spiritually, shedding some beliefs while reinforcing others.
I feel that religions have a tendency to stifle growth, and promote lying and overbearing actions to keep people in line with "the laws". It has a tendency to promote Machiavellian ideas of control.
My spirituality is based on a Christian background, with strong ties to its Jewish origins, and Islamic influences. However, i feel that there is truth hidden in just about every ancient spiritual movement/religion. I feel that each of the ancient gods are facets of the One, and in line with this, everything and everyone is also a facet of the One, i feel there is no separation, only the illusion of the veil, hence free will.
:mrgreen:
hope that makes some sense ;)
thesenior
Initiate

Postby [V] » Tue May 11, 2010 4:26 pm

RevScarecrow wrote:

8-)

I understand the difference. I'm just curious how magick has affected your religious preferences. Enochian system seems to require an awful lot of belief (or knowledge in the quote's case) in the Christan mythos. But there are so many ways to approach it like Maestro Nestor said. Including ones that don't require believe in the mythos.

Well, I certainly know a lot more about christian beliefs & egyptology since I started practicing magick.
No form of magick actually requires you to 'believe' in any particular mythos, but just to understand a set of principals they teach.
[V]
[V]
Adept

Postby number6 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:13 pm

it's the "no dogma required" bit that attracted me to the study of magick.

religion? i parted ways with that years ago.
number6

Postby MaestroNestor » Tue May 11, 2010 6:17 pm

number6 wrote:it's the "no dogma required" bit that attracted me to the study of magick.

religion? i parted ways with that years ago.

Really? I think magic whatever type you seem to practice is full of dogma.
MaestroNestor

Next

Return to General Magick Discussion