"the Old Ones" Magick

General Magical Discussion

"the Old Ones" Magick

Postby LPS_magick » Fri May 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi,

I'm reading the Finnbar book "the book of the Old Ones" by Scorpio (Carl Nagel).

I wanted to find more info on this kind of magick and belief, but I have found very little on the internet.

The general consensus is that they are basically fictional characters and this kind of magic is basically just plain "chaos magic" and you use fictional entities to channel your "inner magical will".

The book says that they are not fictional, but I have found no direct testimonials or experiences with this kind of magick.

There is only this bizzarre discussion http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread450104/pg1

what do you guys think?

Do you guys have any direct experience/more info on the "Great Old Ones"?
LPS_magick
Initiate

Re: "the Old Ones" Magick

Postby sylvanus » Fri May 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Are these the same entities described in the so-called Simon Necronomicon?

If so, they kind of have a history to them, moreso than some spirit he just made up. I would read the slightly hysterical "Necronomicon Files" by Harms and Gonce and then the quite entertaining but possibly total bullshit of "Dead Names" by Simon and decide for yourself. One way or another "Dead Names" is worth reading as a period piece of the NYC 60's occult scene, and the Necro files has some interesting accounts towards the end.
sylvanus
Grand Conjurer

Postby LPS_magick » Sun May 08, 2011 2:16 am

sylvanus wrote:Are these the same entities described in the so-called Simon Necronomicon?

If so, they kind of have a history to them, moreso than some spirit he just made up. I would read the slightly hysterical "Necronomicon Files" by Harms and Gonce and then the quite entertaining but possibly total bullshit of "Dead Names" by Simon and decide for yourself. One way or another "Dead Names" is worth reading as a period piece of the NYC 60's occult scene, and the Necro files has some interesting accounts towards the end.

yes, I have not read the simon necr, but from what I see right now they are the same entities.
thank you for your input
LPS_magick
Initiate

Postby wizardscauldron » Sun May 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Because of the phenomena that the author says occurs when using these rituals and the authenticity of the author I tried a ritual. I saw flashes of white light about five feet in height and two feet in width in two different corners of my living room (interesting that it was in corners as well). I also saw an orb golden light floating above my coffe table and then an orb of blue light floating to the left of my head. I also experienced the tickling in my forehead whilst doing the rituals, and this is the only time I have ever experienced tickling here with regards to any spiritual practice. The phenomena above is exactly as described by the author as possibly happening when working with this book. Someone said that this is just egregoric related phenomena but I disaggree as those large flashes of white light were too powerful to be egregoric in nature for a bunch of fictional beings. What I tuned into I have no idea but the phenomena was very interesting to experience. Some of the text in the book is identical to some of the text in Geoff Gray-Cobbs books so it seems that the author most likely has read Grey-Cobbs work.

@ Carl Nagel - If you are the author please join in :D
Hands that help are holier than lips that pray - S.S.S.B.
wizardscauldron
Grand Conjurer

Postby LPS_magick » Sun May 08, 2011 9:31 pm

wizardscauldron wrote:Because of the phenomena that the author says occurs when using these rituals and the authenticity of the author I tried a ritual. I saw flashes of white light about five feet in height and two feet in width in two different corners of my living room (interesting that it was in corners as well). I also saw an orb golden light floating above my coffe table and then an orb of blue light floating to the left of my head. I also experienced the tickling in my forehead whilst doing the rituals, and this is the only time I have ever experienced tickling here with regards to any spiritual practice. The phenomena above is exactly as described by the author as possibly happening when working with this book. Someone said that this is just egregoric related phenomena but I disaggree as those large flashes of white light were too powerful to be egregoric in nature for a bunch of fictional beings. What I tuned into I have no idea but the phenomena was very interesting to experience. Some of the text in the book is identical to some of the text in Geoff Gray-Cobbs books so it seems that the author most likely has read Grey-Cobbs work.

@ Carl Nagel - If you are the author please join in :D

Yes, I remember that in "hidden secrets" is written that he (Carl Nagel) was very much influenced by new avatar power system.

I tried the first ritual from the book two or three times. It was the one for tuning and calling the Old Ones. I only experienced some pressure built up on the forehead and itching in the head, but I am very inexperienced with this kind of metaphysical rituals so maybe I didn't focus deep enough etc etc.

Have you tried the specific spells from this book? Have you had any result from them?

Yes, it would be interesting if Andros joined this discussion.
LPS_magick
Initiate

Postby andros » Sun May 08, 2011 11:25 pm

It is interesting that this thread should appear now, as it was only last week that I was discussing the reality of the Old Ones with rhett (another member of this forum) during his recent trip to Australia. He asked me if I believed that the OO had an actual existence, to which I replied in the affirmative. People seem to forget that Lovecraft received most (if not all) of his information about the OO in his dreams. Is there anyone on this board who does not agree with the fact that the simplest way for ultraterrestrial beings to communicate with us is through our dreams? Lovecraft was not prone to fantasy, he was a very level headed individual. His main interests were science and astronomy (the latter of which he wrote a column for his local paper), he was the last person you would suspect of having fantastic dreams - yet he did, and those dreams were a form of communication between him and the OO. And why would they want the world to know of their existence, to lure man into calling them and believing in them to give them strength and influence. Yes, my friends, the Old Ones exist - like it, or not.

andros
andros
Adept

Postby Markosis » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:47 am

wizardscauldron wrote:Because of the phenomena that the author says occurs when using these rituals and the authenticity of the author I tried a ritual. I saw flashes of white light about five feet in height and two feet in width in two different corners of my living room (interesting that it was in corners as well). I also saw an orb golden light floating above my coffe table and then an orb of blue light floating to the left of my head. I also experienced the tickling in my forehead whilst doing the rituals, and this is the only time I have ever experienced tickling here with regards to any spiritual practice. The phenomena above is exactly as described by the author as possibly happening when working with this book. Someone said that this is just egregoric related phenomena but I disaggree as those large flashes of white light were too powerful to be egregoric in nature for a bunch of fictional beings. What I tuned into I have no idea but the phenomena was very interesting to experience. Some of the text in the book is identical to some of the text in Geoff Gray-Cobbs books so it seems that the author most likely has read Grey-Cobbs work.

I thought the same thing reading this book that it sounded like Geoff Grey-Cobb. I will definitely give this one a try, thanks for posting your results.
Markosis
Adept

Postby Silenciumetaurum » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:08 pm

I have also worked with this book. Use it for daily ritual work while preparing for walking the gates of the Simon Necronomicon. You will experience some interesting things.

;)
Read Strange Ways Journal, the website of a real sorcerer for hire.
Silenciumetaurum
Supreme Inner Guard
Supreme Inner Guard

Postby LPS_magick » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:30 pm

The same days I started this discussion, I used the first ritual of this book. Basically the one to align yourself to the Old Ones.

Honestly I didn't have any strange feeling, visions, etc. , but one of the times I completed the ritual I had a coincidence that with a little of Imagination could be reconducted to the ritual.

Basically that day I had a problem that I had to resolve. About an hour after I completed the ritual, I felt like compelled to leave what I was doing and work immediately on that problem.
Well unexpectedly I felt very efficient working on it and I almost immediately found a solution to it, like I was 'illuminated with sudden knowledge'.

Don't think anything big....just one of the everyday problems that needed a solution, but I felt like....a little empowered doing so.

maybe just my little twisted imagination
LPS_magick
Initiate

Postby Boon Birdee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm

I actually have this book in my possession and I have been doing the ritual to awaken the Old Ones. I have had some great experiences indeed and it does actually work. Finbarr does do a great deal of wonderful books, but my personal favourite author of theirs is Marcus Bottemley. His books are worth reading indeed and what I like about Finbarr books, is that magick is taken to a different dimension which is understandable of all.
Boon Birdee
Initiate

Next

Return to General Magick Discussion