The lost Book of Alchemy Released

Discuss Witchcraft, Wicca , Paganism , Dark Paganism, Folkways and Elemental Magic

Re: The lost Book of Alchemy Released

Postby Magus11 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:46 am

Tesposinus wrote:Wow... you guys, I'm terribly sorry I haven't answered to any of this before now. I completely forgot about these posts and so I haven't checked for quite some time - as you can see. :oops: It's not easy getting old... :cry:

Tesposinus

Me too, maybe it is just because of the stage of distillation ;) haha

Tesposinus wrote:

Very well put! It is the idea of the Above and Below (as you so nicely put, but which I accidentally deleted in my quote :oops: ) actually being applied and proven to be the case. People without intimate knowledge of and experience with alchemy will often think of it as nothing more than an old, outdated superstitious form of chemistry - chemical experiments with some "supernatural" theor behind it by individuals who didn't yet "know any better" -

Thank you!

I believe you are on about the "puffers"

Tesposinus wrote:
I firmly agree. The allegorical language of alchemy is in intimate part of this, our ancient and noble Art & Science; it is obviously for purposes to concealing the divine from the profane, and keeping the dangerous from the curious, but it is equally the technical jargon of the practitioners. It is the mathematical language of the mathematicians, the formulas of the physicists, the Latin of the medical professionals... but at the same time, it is so much more, as you are clearly hinting at here too, Darren (may I call you Darren?). There is another reason behind the image-language of alchemy, the heavy symbolism found in both illustrations as well as texts... that of the non-physical nature of the Art. It is due to the etheric being what lies as the heart of alchemy that this Science works in symbolism. The human being's link between the Macrocosm and the Microcosm being the mind, the subconscious communicating with the consciousness via imagery, much higher level alchemical wisdom has been revealed or discovered throughout history via visionary experiences had by alchemists of a certain level of experience and it is largely due to the imagery of such visions (be they during dreams, meditations or an otherwise perfectly "awake" moment) that much of this became part of alchemical terminology - the experiences of Cyliani is a good, more recent, example thereof. The knowledge of the meaning behind a picture of a green lion devouring a sun, seeing the latter's blood dripping to the ground, makes all the sense in the world to those with the knowledge and understanding thereof - whether learned through visionary experienced or explained by another alchemist - but it is a complete mystery to the "uninitated". So when communicating in such fashion amongst each other, one ensures that only others of sufficient experience and skill will be able to make sense thereof; and on a more profound level, certain "impossible to analyze" alchemical imagery is a way of ensuring that only those with the necessary knowlegde, experience, skill and spiritual development through the work will be able to make these pictures "talk" to the individual - the true way of communicating in the Language of the Birds! :mrgreen:

That is very well put.

It is the language of the art, and I also believe it to be the same language that enables one to understand the spiritual processes at work within "magic" too. Take this example from "The Book of Going Forth By Day" (the Egyptian book of the dead) "The eye of Horus which my hand holds goes round about for me in the suite of Thoth". This is a beautiful ancient use of allegory, which, will not make a lot of sense to those who do not understand it.

Without the use of this language in Magic and Alchemy, it would take many many words to explain (and not in an easy to understand way) what a few words pictorialize for the Higher mind to comprehend.

Darren
Quod superius est quod inferius et quod inferius est sicut quod superius ad perpetranda miracula rei unius

DEMON EST DEUS INVERSUS
Magus11
Supreme Magus

Postby Tesposinus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Magus11 wrote:Without the use of this language in Magic and Alchemy, it would take many many words to explain (and not in an easy to understand way) what a few words pictorialize for the Higher mind to comprehend.

Absolute nail on the head! :goodpost
Qui se totum dedit, omnia impetrat
Tesposinus
Initiate

Postby bloodvenus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

Hey guys,
Don't know if this is the right place to post this in the Witchcraft section but you guys are talking about Alchemy books. So what are your thoughts on Jean Dubuis alchemy and spagyrics series starting with his Fundamentals of Esoteric Knowledge? Has anyone worked that book and what kind of results does it produce?
I am drawn to Alchemy and Hermetics stuff but only problem I find with the texts like Jean Dubuis, IIH etc..is that they tell you to practice everyday for years and never tell you what to actually expect from working the book...It's all so vague, wishy washy and metaphorical...people are still debating what a Stone is...raising the pillar of Djed? Sounds like kundalini. I'm quite sure physical immortality isn't the goal of alchemy. Is it about creating an immortal 'diamond' body to move consciousness into after death like the tantra and taoist stuff? Why don't they ever just state directly what they are doing?
And seriously, what's up with all those lab experiments? I'm all for herbalism and pharmacology but a lot of stuff in those books -I agree with BaiLung on that point- is medieval chemistry and mainly superstition and not really appropriate for this Age IMVHO.
Anyway, thoughts on Dubuis PLEASE
Enter the Silence
Awaken in the Dream
Rouse the Winged Serpent
and fly into the Night
bloodvenus
Adept

Postby travsha » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:35 pm

If that book seems to wishy washy right now, come back to it later. Try "Real Alchemy" by Bartlett first - it's very straight forward without weird metaphors and language, and it's all about actually doing alchemy (from spygerics to stones). He also teaches classes online and in person.

Spygerics for example, if you make the 7 basics, will help teach you about those archytypes within yourself, within nature (God), and purify/exalt them within yourself. They also work good for any remedies that usually call for those herbs as well (lavender spygeric works wonders for anxiety/insomnia ect).
Experience. Create. LOVE.
conscioushealing.moonfruit.com
travsha
Supreme Inner Guard
Supreme Inner Guard

Postby Tesposinus » Sun May 06, 2012 1:55 pm

bloodvenus wrote:Hey guys,
Don't know if this is the right place to post this in the Witchcraft section but you guys are talking about Alchemy books. So what are your thoughts on Jean Dubuis alchemy and spagyrics series starting with his Fundamentals of Esoteric Knowledge? Has anyone worked that book and what kind of results does it produce?
I am drawn to Alchemy and Hermetics stuff but only problem I find with the texts like Jean Dubuis, IIH etc..is that they tell you to practice everyday for years and never tell you what to actually expect from working the book...It's all so vague, wishy washy and metaphorical...people are still debating what a Stone is...raising the pillar of Djed? Sounds like kundalini. I'm quite sure physical immortality isn't the goal of alchemy. Is it about creating an immortal 'diamond' body to move consciousness into after death like the tantra and taoist stuff? Why don't they ever just state directly what they are doing?
And seriously, what's up with all those lab experiments? I'm all for herbalism and pharmacology but a lot of stuff in those books -I agree with BaiLung on that point- is medieval chemistry and mainly superstition and not really appropriate for this Age IMVHO.
Anyway, thoughts on Dubuis PLEASE

Sorry about the late reply; been super busy with work lately! :shock:

Actually, alchemy is far from mere superstitious chemistry from a period where people "were not as smart as us". :roll: This you will quickly come to realize if you genuinely study and practice alchemy, and for this Dubuis writings come more highly recommended than anything else I have ever encountered myself!!

I am personally a dedicated student of the LPN alchemy teachings and I have used these as my "primary course", for lack of a better way of putting it, for years. One will, of course, add to these eventually with the ancient alchemical treatises as well as other modern writings, but having a "guide" of sorts to follow in terms of development - both spiritually as well as in terms of knowledge, experience and skill - the LPN teachings written by M. Dubuis are unmatched, in my humble opinion!

I would highly recommend - if you are truly serious about the study and practice of alchemy - that you obtain the Spagyrics and Mineral Alchemy lessons and follow them as instructed (i.e., begin with the work of the Vegetable Kingdom as taught in the Spagyrics course, and once you have completed these teachings, move on to those of the Mineral Alchemy course).

Actually, alchemy is not as much of a "mess" of not having anything tangible, as you may think. The problem is, you have apparently encountered numerous modern "interpretations" of what alchemy is truly about; many of these being the "new age" approach of alchemy-this, alchemy-that: "Alchemy is whatever you want it to be; alchemy of relationships, alchemy of finances, alchemy of yoga, alchemy of cooking, alchemy of shopping, alchemy of babysitting..." and other such garbage. This has also yielded many - though sincere esoteric topics - incorrect approaches to what this ancient and noble Art & Science is truly about; an example being that of alchemy being nothing more than spiritual development and the whole "laboratory-thing" is but mere allegories (something history will quickly prove is not the case). Another example is that of what the Lapis Philosophorum is; a stage of internal development through Kundalini mastery, chakra awakening, zen-state achievement, purely symbolic of inner happiness and peace - however you come by it - the knowledge of and conversation with one's Higher Genius... ?

All of this is one big mess and it ventures farther and farther away from what genuine alchemy really is - something that is still practiced today as it was centuries ago (except our glassware is a bit more sophisticated nowadays; :P the operations, however, remain the very same as that found in the ancient treatises).

As travsha recommended, read Bartlett's book first if you want to get an affordable, "down-to-earth" overview of what alchemy is. Then, for the hardcore stuff, get your hands on Dubuis LPN lessons - only if you are serious about truly studying & practicing the Art, though. Otherwise they will merely be a bunch of papers of which you will understand very little.

Also, know that alchemy is truly an occult science and not merely ancient, outdated, superstitious chemistry; it is as esoteric in its work as magic and I assume you find magic to be very real, and not merely a bunch of old, outdated superstitious beliefs about the world around us because we "didn't know any better back then". ;) I know I find magic to be very real! :mrgreen:

bloodvenus wrote:...people are still debating what a Stone is...raising the pillar of Djed? Sounds like kundalini. I'm quite sure physical immortality isn't the goal of alchemy. Is it about creating an immortal 'diamond' body to move consciousness into after death like the tantra and taoist stuff? Why don't they ever just state directly what they are doing?

Actually, the alchemical treatises - as well as modern teachings such as those of Dubuis, Bartlett, Albertus, Caro etc. - speak very clearly of what the Philosopher's Stone is; it is a indeed a material substance that has the ability to perfect matter at its etheric level (and thus also on its physical), resulting in purification and elevation. In metals, it means raising them to a higher vibratory state which results in transmutation into the metal of gold (silver if the Stone has not been taken to the Red Stage); in human beings, it means the cleansing and purification of the Mercury, Sulfur and Salt thereof and thus resulting in the curing of any and all ailments as well as the extension of one's lifespan due to regeneration of cells and halting the natural deterioration process. Additionally, due to the powerful etheric effect of the Lapis, it also raises the human being to a higher vibratory level (in other words, raises one's level of spiritual development). All this is roughly put...

However, the confection of this material known as the Philosopher's Stone is merely "proof" of a certain attained spiritual state of the alchemist as he/she cannot create the Stone if of an insufficient vibratory level - no matter how many times he/she attempts to do so, following the "formula" step by step.

bloodvenus wrote:And seriously, what's up with all those lab experiments?

Well, that's what alchemy is and what it's always been: an occult/esoteric science that deals with the etheric origins of existence, and does so through physical matter. The alchemist manipulates substances in their entirety by doing so physically as well as etherically. In alchemy, we learn that all of matter is merely a physical crystallization of the etheric forces (just as we learn in magic as well) through which all of existence has come into being. Thus, if we wish to alter a substance in its totality, we cannot do so merely on the material level as this would only be half of it, and we leave its non-physical/etheric origin as is. It is due to this non-physical manner of working that alchemy is vastly different from mere chemistry, and it is in this alchemists are capable of creating substances that cannot be duplicated by chemists, regardless of how closely the latter adhere to the "formula". Working chemically and working ALchemically are two entirely different things - as you will come to find out if you study abovementioned writings.

Hope all of this was of some help. :)

Tesposinus
Tesposinus
Initiate

Postby bloodvenus » Sun May 20, 2012 11:07 am

Tesposinus,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond in such a full way. I certainly don't subscribe to the view that the ancients knew nothing or that magic is a kind of symbolic psychology. Even though, I must admit all my um..workings have to date yielded rather abstract and subjective results and I am still to cross that threshold of...OMG!! This is for real and not just my wishful thinking or auto suggestion.
It's kind of like spirit stuff..one believes, then something happens like an out of body journey or an encounter and you stop "believing" and start living in knowledge of an expanded reality. That's kind of the breakthrough I am pushing for with magic. I'm watchful and open. But that's kind of off-topic... With alchemy, I really did think it was an early form of empirical, modern science - chemistry being done by monks. So,I'm not dissing the ancients, was just under the impression that they were pioneering a new scientific paradigm and were still off on very many things and just figuring it out..just like they are today.
I managed to track down Real Alchemy and gotta admit...this is some seriously exciting stuff. A true spiritual science... If that was the direction science had been taking back then before it got hijacked... then it was truly something awesome.
I am very much into plant medicines, herbs etc and this has just added a whole new dimension of experimentation. Thank you :bow I will continue looking into this and Spagyrics and see what develops.
It's strange but the other day I heard someone say...modern science has increased lifespans, cured illnesses, created amazing technology...what did magic ever do? I suppose lots of people say that. I was standing at the pyramids - that are still standing- and looking at all the spells inscribed on the walls... Maybe magic did build and uphold many ancient civilizations. Will we ever really know the truth about these civilizations and what their sacred sciences accomplished? When i tried to find out...I got put off by the very dodgy new age Atlantis-Lemuria indigo crystal type bonkers crap that predominates the market (no offense to anyone). Since I joined this site,I have been introduced to very high quality resources and the pieces are slowly coming together.
This is why I love this site..you guys are living the dream and helping others cross over. Now, let me go and get to work!!!
Enter the Silence
Awaken in the Dream
Rouse the Winged Serpent
and fly into the Night
bloodvenus
Adept

Postby Tesposinus » Mon May 21, 2012 1:45 pm

bloodvenus,

Only glad if I was able to help in some way. :D Alchemy is indeed a very tangible occult science, but there is unfortunately a lot of garbage floating around out there: the ORMUS stuff (which has absolutely nothing to do with alchemy!), the New Age approach to EVERYTHING being alchemy (way to narrow it down for people looking for a definition... ), the Jung ideas attempting to convince people that alchemy is merely an ancient form of psychology and that the numerous alchemical terms of operations, lab apparatuses, substances etc. were just metaphors for psychological processes and different mind-states (something there is absolutely no basis for in actual alchemical treatises as well as general historical research of the Art)... things like that.

This makes is rather difficult for people new to this ancient and noble Art & Science to find the "real deal", so to speak. But with the aforementioned book titles and the alchemical writings of Jean Dubuis - especially these - you can't go wrong. If you found Bartlett's Real Alchemy fascinating, know that this is merely the tip of the proverbial iceberg! His book contains nothing in comparison with what there is to learn from the LPN materials - in terms of alchemical practice, alchemical theory and alchemical philosophy, the three pillars forming the actual study & practice of the Art. But my recommendation is that you look more into it (possibly invest in a few more books such as Junius' classic, as mentioned before, and Cockren's work) and then decide whether this is a path you'd like to travel. Otherwise there is a LOT of material to go through, a LOT of money to be spent on equipment; Erlenmeyers, beakers, crucibles, hotplates, condensers, adapters, fractionating columns, Soxhlets, separatory funnels, building old-style furnaces (unless you're up for spending thousands of dollars on modern, electrical ones!? :P ) and so on.

Anyway, I hope you'll find your way in the world of alchemy - whether you decide to enter it or leave it be. If you ever think I might possibly be of any help, please feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to do whatever I can.

T.
Tesposinus
Initiate

Previous

Return to Witchcraft