The Book Of Abrasax Review

Discuss new book releases, recommendations and reviews

The Book Of Abrasax Review

Postby The God-King » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:47 pm

My copy of Michael Cecchetelli's latest title from Nephilim Press, The Book of Abrasax, came yesterday. I must say I was a bit surprised (though pleasantly) when I first received it, being that i also have Cecchetelli's Scarlet Imprint release The Crossed Keys and I guess I kind of expected something along those same lines. My copy is #32. The binding of the book is nice, a red cloth that the site describes as parsimony.

The The Book of Abrasax aims to revive and lost or dead system of magic though the author stresses that it is NOT a book for the academic or occult scholar, rather a practitioner. He states that in parts where the scholar would scream bastardization (such as substituting ritual components from a similar ritual into one where parts are missing) he changes things so the reader may actually work the rituals rather than simply just read. The contents of the book deal in practical magic from the gnostic and hellenic periods. It deals with mainly greco-egyptian deities. There are chapters dedicated to banishing magic, spells of protection, love & lust, wealth & prosperity, and curses. Some of the rituals are quite lengthy though don't require much in the way of expensive or hard to find tools. There are also relatively short rituals but require much repetition, such as vibrating the name of Abrasax 365 times :| There are also footnotes, which is immensely helpful and a bibliography for those who wish to cross-reference.

There is also a section dedicated to "transcendent" magic and evocation, which is pretty much high ritual magic. Though I found a ritual that Cecchetelli calls an evocation I did not find a ritual that lays out the traditional or even modern evocation ritual format. All in all I don't think I wasted $60 ($50 for the book and $10 for shipping). I do plan on putting the book to work once I am able.
The God-King
Conjurer

Re: The Book Of Abrasax Review

Postby Bluefirephoenix » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:23 pm

did you actually work any of the rituals? Just wondering how they went if you did.

Wonder why he didn't go with Scarlet imprint on this. I'll have to look up the book now.
Bluefirephoenix
Magician

Postby The God-King » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:51 pm

Bluefirephoenix wrote:did you actually work any of the rituals? Just wondering how they went if you did.

Wonder why he didn't go with Scarlet imprint on this. I'll have to look up the book now.

No I have not yet worked with the book, though I plan to when I am able. And sorry I didn't put the link in the OP, here it is:

http://www.nephilimpress.com/store/
The God-King
Conjurer

Postby tai » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:45 am

I'm interested to hear feedback from anyone who has worked with this book.
tai
Conjurer

Postby Magick42 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks for the review. I am on their mailing list so I was notified that this was coming out.

Also looking for someone who has tried any rituals with success. I will probably end up buying it anyway.
Demons I can understand. People are crazy.
Magick42
Conjurer

Postby The God-King » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 pm

Magick42 wrote:Thanks for the review. I am on their mailing list so I was notified that this was coming out.

Also looking for someone who has tried any rituals with success. I will probably end up buying it anyway.

No problem. I am planning on putting it to work, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Pretty hectic schedule right now, but should clear up within a week or so.
The God-King
Conjurer

Postby Magick42 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:18 am

The God-King wrote:
Magick42 wrote:Thanks for the review. I am on their mailing list so I was notified that this was coming out.

No problem. I am planning on putting it to work, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Pretty hectic schedule right now, but should clear up within a week or so.

Ok understood. I went ahead and ordered it anyway (just like I said I would lmao) so if you are up to it, we can periodically come into this thread and share experiences.
Magick42
Conjurer

Postby ConjureMan Ali » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:33 am

I put to use a few of the rituals of the book as part of a review I posted on my blog. Its a great book. Not only does it revive an ancient system of magic with instructions on little known techniques like the use of difixiones or curse-tablets, and the making of a magical idol, it also poses an opportunity to revive a Coptic-Gnostic mystery cult. If it gains in popularity it may very well be a new living tradition.

The rituals I have used have been very effective and quite powerful. I do recommend this text highly.
ConjureMan Ali
Grand Conjurer

Postby Magick42 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:40 am

ConjureMan Ali wrote:I put to use a few of the rituals of the book as part of a review I posted on my blog. Its a great book. Not only does it revive an ancient system of magic with instructions on little known techniques like the use of difixiones or curse-tablets, and the making of a magical idol, it also poses an opportunity to revive a Coptic-Gnostic mystery cult. If it gains in popularity it may very well be a new living tradition.

The rituals I have used have been very effective and quite powerful. I do recommend this text highly.

Thanks ConjureMan Ali!! Now I can't wait to get the text in my hands
Magick42
Conjurer

Postby The God-King » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Magick42 wrote:

Ok understood. I went ahead and ordered it anyway (just like I said I would lmao) so if you are up to it, we can periodically come into this thread and share experiences.

Sure I wouldn't mind. Seems like a great way for others to determine if it's something they too should look into purchasing.
The God-King
Conjurer

Next

Return to The Book Forum