Youtube video : Talk about the Goetia

Discuss The Goetia, Theurgia-Goetia, Pauline Art, Almadel, Notary Art (or Ars Nova) , Grimorium Verum, Grand Grimoire etc.

Youtube video : Talk about the Goetia

Postby Monte Lostra » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Greetings all.

I enjoyed watching these videos about the goetia. I saw all 3 parts.

part 1:

part 2:

part 3:

Here, a lady (her user name is VenusSatanas) makes good points in the videos...

- one point she makes, which I've been thinking about is about 'harassing or powerfully commanding' the demons to do your will. She seems to go for a more even-planed approach.

- She also mentions that she's summoned Goetic demons in other ways besides the typical kind of evocation. I don't think she says exactly what ways she does it, although she seems to hint that what lead her onto her unique path of non-traditional Goetic evocation was Phil Hine's book 'Aspects of Evocation' (especially the chapter on Servitors)
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so".
- Shakespeare, Hamlet.
Monte Lostra
Adept

Re: Youtube video : Talk about the Goetia

Postby Gordon Finn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:30 am

Okay, my first impulse on her pronunciation of 'goetia', yet will pronounce it with a T for goet makes me think she might have some need to make the 'she' sound, but I can't be sure. And what is with the drab explanations? If the occult is making you act in a drugged out haze normally, you need to lay off the stuff. Would it kill her to smile? And oh my god. She's reading!

Okay, second, this chick should not be a public speaker, ever. There this one bit. When she quotes about what's evil by the catholic church. She is using the mundane definition of evil and not the esoteric definition. And...of course...she makes a proud smile when she says most satanists don't believe in it. Hubris from pride that's built upon bad information is one of the worst places a magickian can be in. While it's good that she feels herself to be independent, I don't see her having a grasp on christian mysticism. But, her choate perspective of spirits is accurate.
Gordon Finn
Grand Conjurer

Postby Samuel » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:57 am

makes me think she might have some need to make the 'she' sound, but I can't be sure.

I wouldn't read into it. That's how I instinctively pronounced the word for ages as well, similar to the word "nation". But after a while I realised it didn't seem right when I said "Goetic" with the t, and actually looked it up to find out the 'proper' way.
Samuel
Initiate

Postby Monte Lostra » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:42 pm

A lot of times, people who might have truly valuable information for us aren't all 'excitable' and dressed in great suits, with moving graphics behind them :) (think CNN, FOX News).

I pick up that there's generally some ensitivity when it comes to Goetic evocations and information about the Goetia, partly because people have these Grimoires (Lesser Keys), and not everybody can follow it's directions word for word, or even have all the equipment, or follow the planetary configurations/times and all... yet we want to evoke these entities. So, there are other ways of evocation, and of course there will be some room for doubt regarding those evocations, since it's not officially from the 'directions' (not from the Lesser Keys themselves).

I think the more we all learn about the Lesser Keys and the evocation rituals (from all sources), the more we get closer to a truly effective way for US to work it. It might not be the same way for everyone either...
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so".
- Shakespeare, Hamlet.
Monte Lostra
Adept

Postby Izabael » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:58 am

I'm suprised you guys got so hung up on pedantics. She she pronounces some words oddly, but I've learned again and again it doesn't matter how you pronounce things--even in Enochian it hardly manners.

Content-wise it sounded like she had a pretty good comprehension of demon magick, and expressed it a lot more succinctly and pleasantly than I've seen or read other places. Kudos for her for having a cool and productive hobby.

Izabael
Izabael
Initiate

Postby Slater » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:55 am

Gordon Finn wrote:Okay, my first impulse on her pronunciation of 'goetia', yet will pronounce it with a T for goet makes me think she might have some need to make the 'she' sound, but I can't be sure. .

In the CD accompanying Modern Magick, Kraig pronounces Goetia as this chick does: "Goeesha" (from the Greek) and then Goetic is with a hard "t" as in "go et ick."

Is that wrong?
Slater
Supreme Inner Guard
Supreme Inner Guard

Postby alkeides » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:30 am

Slater wrote:
Gordon Finn wrote:Okay, my first impulse on her pronunciation of 'goetia', yet will pronounce it with a T for goet makes me think she might have some need to make the 'she' sound, but I can't be sure. .

In the CD accompanying Modern Magick, Kraig pronounces Goetia as this chick does: "Goeesha" (from the Greek) and then Goetic is with a hard "t" as in "go et ick."

Is that wrong?

"Goeesha" is not Greek, modern or ancient. In modern Greek it would be roughly, /goicia/, reconstructed ancient Greek: /goæ:tia/ or /goε:tia/. In Latin it would be /goe:tia/.

Of course like Izabael said, pronunciation doesn't matter much to the entities. It's more of an issue to humans, and personally as a learner of the above languages I prefer the more original pronunciations.
alkeides
Magician

Postby Slater » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:12 am

Goetia (Middle Latin, anglicized goety (pronounced /ˈɡoʊ.ɨti/), from Greek γοητεία goēteia "sorcery")
So obviously Go-et-eeya.
Slater
Supreme Inner Guard
Supreme Inner Guard

Postby Izabael » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 pm

Slater wrote:Goetia (Middle Latin, anglicized goety (pronounced /ˈɡoʊ.ɨti/), from Greek γοητεία goēteia "sorcery")
So obviously Go-et-eeya.

I've also heard this is ultimately the "correct" way--but I don't think in real life I've ever heard anyone pronounce it that way.

Since we are still discussing word pronunciations, I'm surprised no one commented on the way she says "grimoire." It sounds more like she is saying grim-o-ree (close to Gremory the daemon)!

xoxo,
Izabael
Izabael
Initiate

Postby alkeides » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:44 am

Slater wrote:Goetia (Middle Latin, anglicized goety (pronounced /ˈɡoʊ.ɨti/), from Greek γοητεία goēteia "sorcery")
So obviously Go-et-eeya.

Keyword here is 'anglicized', in Greek it's different, you should ask your father if it's convenient.
alkeides
Magician

Next

Return to Grimoire Tradition