Triangle of Solomon

Discuss The Goetia, Theurgia-Goetia, Pauline Art, Almadel, Notary Art (or Ars Nova) , Grimorium Verum, Grand Grimoire etc.

Triangle of Solomon

Postby BrotherEnoch » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:58 am

No too long ago I read an article analyzing the Triangle of Solomon. The author gave what he thought might be the original Triangle with Hebrew Godnames. http://gilberttheoccultist.blogspot.com/2010/11/triangle-of-art-translated-and.html

I then shared my own attempt at reconstructing the Triangle of Solomon.
http://theoccultandmagick.blogspot.com/2011/06/reconstructing-solomons-triangle.html

My Triangle looks like this:

As far as I could tell, I was the only person to conclude YHVH Elohim Sabaoth was to go around the outside of the Triangle. And then, a short while ago I came across a forum post here at evocationmagic.
http://www.evocationmagic.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=706&start=10#p43346

The Triangle given was:

So now I'm wondering what other people's Triangles might look like and why.
"By the way, I like your wizard: instead of making all the wealthiest women in love with himself, and getting thousands out of them, he condescends to pick up £15 by rendering Glaucias irresistible."
-Tychiades in Lucian's "The Liar"
BrotherEnoch
Adept

Re: Triangle of Solomon

Postby raum215 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:49 pm

These three names appear as the only names of God in psalms of David, father of Solomon. They total 611, the value of Torah (and other words), where the names of solomons spirits were supposed to be able to be found. These three words are the keys to the godnames of hod, netzach and binah and chokmah - the pillars of mercy and severity, the Tzabaoth is the middle pillar. I have always had all kinds of triangles in my artwork, having a grand Water trine in my chart direct to my ascendent. In fact, my method of thirty aire work in Enochian involves triangles.

The LAW is the principle of discipline and synonym for Magick , from an ancient root. I'd love to see other people's triangles of art, as well. i do stress though, for me, the design is just one of the ways the triangle is reinforced in the spheres of the magician. How, and it what context you create it is just as important. I also feel entering a liminal state is vital. Liminal states are part of the religious anthorpology model of connection with the sacred. I do feel these inscriptions are right, and you can see them in the names of the Godnames with each Sephiroth, as evidenced in many texts. As I have mentioned before I write masoretic hebrew, final forms (for aiq bkr and other reasons) no vowel points in common practice. I reserve the moabitic script (found in several texts) only for magic and instruction in physical form. It is like a font switch toggle I throw to make the distinction between writing and engraving with my will. I also have linguistic and historical reasons to do this, and most everything magically. As for the book of Isaiah, I concur it is very important. that is a great article!

Ben Bova "Story of Light" is where I base my work with light and sound, not the paul foster case notions. Science and Math can relatively equate a visual spectrum of the the frequencies of sound. These were additions to my work after the creation of my Ring PELE for enochian and I was involved with some light and sound based Golden Derived group work that was just not a good fit for me. For me light and sound are crucial, especially in my Bell Book and Candle motif for magic.

Here is a visual meditation that helped me understand creation of the Triangle of Art, shown by spirit in group evocation with three brothers. I was the operator. I simply never got anything from the Du Quette one (in Aleister Crowley's illustrated goetia 1992... i got this is 1997 used at Moes on telegraph) that had become popular in my non-internet world of bay area magicians. We had an interest in a home that might be a good place to try. I DEMANDED the mysteries of the triangle of art's construction and recited the first Enochian call (I employ this to be a claim to our inherent divine providence that compels spirits because of our relation to deity.) Book on alchemical symbolism belonging to the brother who lived there fell of the shelf and opened to this image. my head was flashed with *how* I could make this. here was the instruction in visual synthesis:

VITRIOL.jpg

I will gladly explain it as I understand it.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHVH do all these things.
raum215
Supreme Magus

Postby TheMysticSeeking » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Very neat triangle design. I'm getting ready to undertake the construction of my first triangle. Raum, do you have any suggestions on colors to use? Wouldn't the darkest Color be the best? I feel a neon color might be interesting but might get distracting with the intensity of color. I like to put my best efforts into the magical items which is why I am asking. I'm going to go with my intuition either way but would love to get some different feedback. What do you think about making alternate triangles, ones with different designs as to those found in the key of Solomon. I've seen some awesome variation triangles on the web. I like things different. An Egyptian influenced triangle might deem powerful
I love you.
TheMysticSeeking
Adept

Postby Omega » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:06 pm

TheMysticSeeking wrote:Raum, do you have any suggestions on colors to use? Wouldn't the darkest Color be the best?

From Donald Correl:
Colours. - Triangle outlined in Black; name of Michael Black on White ground; the three Names without the triangle written in Red; circle in centre entirely filled in in dark Green.)

Some info about the triangle..

http://tinyurl.com/8y7nme7

Thanx.
Omega
Grand Conjurer

Postby raum215 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:59 pm

the original triangle spoken of is drawn in the dirt while you are in the circle. By the Ars Goetia, it is its own thing. I do not limit myself to the Ars Goetia.

There are three different triangles to be employed in different parts of magic, all based on geometry. The Equilateral, The Right Triangle, and the Supreme Acute, which is 10 degrees off of a right triangle, angles measuring 80,50,50. These are used in construction methods and the surveying for the laying of a foundation.

Color is something you can work with as you feel inclined to. My triangle here shown is Red to draw the eyes and to make it striking as a barrier, as red is the most dense vibratory nature of color.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHVH do all these things.
raum215
Supreme Magus

Postby king solomon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:52 pm

If Im not mistaken, the Ars Goetia (pre-mathers/crowley) doesn'ty mention anything about what colors are used for the triangle. I may be wrong.
As Raum stated, older texts that mention using a triangle suggest that it be traced in the dirt, and most grimoires tend to suggest that the circle is traced in the dirt. This all seems to imply these workings were intended for outdoor working, under an open sky. I tend to agree as I've gotten the best results in manifesting the spirit outside the circle.
I generally don't work with the Ars Goetia anymore these days, but when I did I utilized the triangle as it is presented in the Ars Goetia. I never saw the need to reinterpret or change the names used upon the triangle, with one exception. The diagram in the Ars Goetia shows the circle placed in the East, with the name of Michael. I had considered the implications of this and in practice would change the position of the triangle according to the attributions of the spirit to the zodiac as given in Crowley's 777. Thus if I were evoking for example Amon, who is attributed to Gemini in 777 and thus to the element of Air I would trace the triangle in the West and write the name of Raphael within it. Of course if you use Rudd's/Aurum Solis attributions as opposed to the GD/Crowley system, you would be attributing different signs to each spirit and thus different elements. In either case, in the east, fire, trace Michael, the south, earth Uriel or Anael depending on tradition, west, air, Raphael and the north, water, Gabriel. The conjurations would likewise be directed to that quarter and the spirit will generally come from that quarter but they had a tendency to appear from any direction regardless.

I have never really seen all that much purpose in attempting to reinterpret the Names outside the triangle into Hebrew divine names or use some kind of archaic script. I thought the Names given in the Ars Goetia were fine as is. WHats the purpose of continually going to the Hebrew divine names? Is it because its more in keeping with the "Solomonic" angle or is there some Qabalistic reasoning? Not that I think there is anything wrong with changing the names to Hebrew ones, I just don't really see any use in pursuing that endeavor. The system works just fine as is, and I don't really find it likely that changing the names into Hebrew ones is going to make any difference in practice at all.

But having said that I do have to say that the two triangles in the first couple of posts look stunning.

In my opinion, the triangle is a symbol that has a very intimate connection to magic of Goetia generally, and for infernal spirits specifically.
king solomon

Postby raum215 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Learning Hebrew doesn't give you superpowers.
Learning the key to a name or word does, however, give you a power over the proper use of it.
Learning how and when to employ properly a name or word is the source of all power.
raum215
Supreme Magus

Postby Omega » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:39 pm

raum215 wrote:Learning Hebrew doesn't give you superpowers. .

That's true ! :rofl

raum215 wrote:There are three different triangles to be employed in different parts of magic, all based on geometry. The Equilateral, The Right Triangle, and the Supreme Acute, which is 10 degrees off of a right triangle, angles measuring 80,50,50. These are used in construction methods and the surveying for the laying of a foundation.

Thank for clarification Raum :)

My studies enabled me to distinguish three triangles:

If i'm not mistaken, Magus could use the triangular form for making a triangular evocation mirror or by tracing a triangle on the floor..It seems that the mirror is prefered for etheral or astral manifestation..
The triangle drawn /traced on the floor is preferred for lying and rebels spirits..
It would ease the physical manifestation and power focus..

1 - Triangle of Art (Triangle traced in the dirt, on the magic circle side..)

(Lemegeton / Sloane 3648 / Pseudomonarchia Daemonum..)

Lemegeton:
"That is whilest ye Exorcist allay his Courage, for to doe that, he must hold a hazel stick in his hand, streched forth towards ye South & East quarters making a Triangle without ye Circle, commanding him into it by ye vertue of ye Bonds & chaines of spirits hereafter following, & if he doe not come into ye triangle by your Threats, rehearse ye Bounds & chaines before him, and then he will yeild obediance and come into it and do what he is commanded by ye Eorcist [Exorcist]"..

Pseudomonarchia Daemonum:
(20) Bileth [Byleth] is a great king and a terrible, riding on a pale horsse, before whome go trumpets, and all kind of melodious musicke. When he is called up by an exorcist, he appeareth rough [turgid] and furious, to deceive him. Then let the exorcist or conjuror take heed to himself; and to allaje his courage, let him hold a hazell bat [rod, staff, or stick] in his hand, wherewithall he must reach out toward the east and south, and make a triangle without besides the circle; but if he hold not out his hand unto him, and he bid him come in, and he still refuse the bond or chain of spirits; let the conjuror proceed to reading, and by and by he will submit himselfe, and come in, and doo whatsoever the exorcist commandeth him, and he shalbe safe.

2 - Geotic evocation mirror (Poke Runyon..)

3 - The Sefer Mafteah Shlomo Triangle of Art..(Hermann Gollancz - p80)

king solomon wrote:In my opinion, the triangle is a symbol that has a very intimate connection to magic of Goetia generally, and for infernal spirits specifically.

I agree with you, it seems by the past, that the triangle has been more often used for demonic evocation instead angelic..

Thanx.

Omega
Grand Conjurer

Postby TheMysticSeeking » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:42 am

I don't remember reading anything regarding the symbology.artwork on the back of the triangle, although I have seen magic mirrors with siggilums on the back. Especially as seen in the book: how to make and use a magic mirror. I'm surprised that this is not written about in the lesser key.
I love you.
TheMysticSeeking
Adept

Postby Omega » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:12 am

It's correct: some manuscripts give the characters to engrave on the back of the mirror..
Omega
Grand Conjurer

Next

Return to Grimoire Tradition