Use of Schemhamphorash Angels with Goetia

Discuss The Goetia, Theurgia-Goetia, Pauline Art, Almadel, Notary Art (or Ars Nova) , Grimorium Verum, Grand Grimoire etc.

Re: Use of Schemhamphorash Angels with Goetia

Postby king solomon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 pm

I think the Ars Nova is a pretty essential as well.
The bornless rite is only slightly different than the Headless rite which a thousand years old. Now the rite, in either form is designed to identify the magician with the divine and make him fit to command spirits, as the opening charge clearly exresses, "subject to me all daimons, so that every daimon, whether heavenly or aerial or earthly or subterranean or terrestrial or aquatic, might be obedient to me and every enchantnment and scourgewhich is from God. And all demons will be obedient to you." The oroginal intent of the Headless rite was as an excorsism, a method of controlling and commanding spirits, which makes it useful for banishing as well.
Levi's Qabalistic invocation of Solomon, though it has no origins in antiquity whatsoever, is just as suitable an invocation to use. That you say it is not as modern as the Bornless rite is unfounded, as I've expressed. Personally I think the Headless rite or the Bornless rite is a much more powerful ritual.
When using the Schemhamphorash Angels, I would include a heirarchial invocation of the suitable Zodiac divine Names and Angels.
king solomon

Postby Arete » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:14 pm

axismundi wrote:Arete: In my view the purist, goetia only approach, must work because I feel that Steve Savedow's work is valid, some of the phenomena he describes as occuring before the demon appears I also have had. I do not have all the regalia, Solomon's seal and Hexagram I just scanned from out of crowleys goetia, I have about 90% of the regalia and equipment required. On P70 of The Goetia of Dr Rudd (Skinner & Rankine) an illustration showing an angel holding the keys to hell and holding a Demon on a chain is shown. This I feel is the essence of how I succeeded; the appropriate angel is invoked 5 times a day until seen and communicated with in the shewstone. Firstly I asked the angel for aid and help in accordance with the angels qualities and powers. Then I asked the angel to help me with the evokation to physical manifestation of the Demon, this was agreed upon. Then the 45 day sequence that I describe at the top of this thread is commenced.

So.. it seems to me that the purist approach must work because I genuinely believe Steve Savedow was succesfull and he does not describe working with schemhamphorash angels in his books. For me schemhamhorash angels are what finally enabled me to succeed and it would seem this was also used by some medieval magicians (eg the angel with the chained demon woodcut shown in Rudd's goetia book).

King Soloman: In previous attempts with goetia in which I got some physical effects but did not succeed, I used the bornless fragment, perhaps I was not doing it properly.

I think Savedows work is valid, though I considered his evocations to be quite a bastardized version. I mean this to describe and not in a pejorative fashion, merely not what I would call 'by the book'. I have long considered using a shewstone to gain more information on what makes a succesful evocation and have looked at Keys to the Gateway of Magic by Rankine and Skinner and the Trithemius work on drawing spirits into crystals.

I guess this is an open question - Is the shewstone placed inside the circle, or should it be placed on my altar outside the circle? It is often said angels should be invoked inside the circle but this statement doesn't tell precisely in what sense this is meant when put into practice. Did you use a drawn circle during the sessions calling the angel?
Arete
Adept

Postby TheodorVoland » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:24 pm

axismundi wrote:The most important thing I feel I did was a practice, a daily sequence 5 times a day to contact the appropriate shemhamphorash angel such that eventually the angel was visible to the naked eye in a quartz crystal ball.

I haven't read Savedow's books, so would you mind describing the ritual that you used to call on the Shem angels? Also, I am guessing you called upon the same angel throughout your experiment?
TheodorVoland
Initiate

Postby king solomon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:25 pm

I was gonna pick up that Keys to the Gateway of Magic, but the store didn't have it in! I ended up buying a book on Shamanism instead.
Is Keys to the Gateway of Magic a good read or is it just stuff I could find in the grimoires?
king solomon

Postby TheodorVoland » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:27 pm

Magus11 wrote:I have since then used the Longobardus very recently, once. It is certainly in keeping with the style of Goetia ceremony, although it is not needed so long as the prayers of the Artem Novam are used which is probably sufficient enough.

This too, is very interesting. Could you post a reference (or link) to the former text? I have read mentions of it in books on Goetia, but have never seen the text itself.

Thanks!
TheodorVoland
Initiate

Postby Magus11 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:02 pm

TheodorVoland wrote:
Magus11 wrote:I have since then used the Longobardus very recently, once. It is certainly in keeping with the style of Goetia ceremony, although it is not needed so long as the prayers of the Artem Novam are used which is probably sufficient enough.

This too, is very interesting. Could you post a reference (or link) to the former text? I have read mentions of it in books on Goetia, but have never seen the text itself.

Thanks!

It is in the first appendix of The Goetia of Dr Rudd. Sloane MS 3824. It is basically a prayer of protection, and a long one at that, to be said before commencing with the conjuration. It calls upon Lucifer, Beelzebub, and Sathan, which apparently God appointed as his rullers of the sublunary world.

If you can't find it on the net, let me know and I may be able to send you a copy.

Darren
Quod superius est quod inferius et quod inferius est sicut quod superius ad perpetranda miracula rei unius

DEMON EST DEUS INVERSUS
Magus11
Supreme Inner Guard
Supreme Inner Guard

Postby Arete » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:17 pm

king solomon wrote:I was gonna pick up that Keys to the Gateway of Magic, but the store didn't have it in! I ended up buying a book on Shamanism instead.
Is Keys to the Gateway of Magic a good read or is it just stuff I could find in the grimoires?

The first part of the material is aphorisms and diagrams that you can find in Agrippa's Three Books and in the Arbatel if I remember correctly. I remember reading through and finding a passage and remembered it, compared it to the Three Books and it was exactly the same (or maybe it was the Arbatel, I forget). I haven't done much investigation as to the relationship between Janua Magica Reserata and other texts and their ages.

The good part is the invocations for the angels in each of the 9 heavens into a crystal globe. They printed seals from two different manuscripts, but I remember one set being a bit garbled. You can find the seals in The Magical Calendar or on Joseph Peterson's website. It also has invocations for the 4 demon kings into a crystal globe. I would say this book is really only of interest for those wanting to call spirits into a shewstone/mirror/crystal ball, or for research purposes of some kind so I wouldn't say it is a must have.

There is no description of any tools in Janua Magica Reserata or much framework, which is why I am looking at the Trithemius document.
Arete
Adept

Postby king solomon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:09 am

The Trithemius document is plagerized in the last part of Barrett's the Magus, which I have a copy of. It is also on Petersons webite, here's a link.

http://www.esotericarchives.com/tritheim/trchryst.htm

The Magus, for all its plagerismo, if compared with the modern corrections in Agrippa's three books, makes for a pretty broad study in occultism.
king solomon

Postby axismundi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 am

Arete, Theodorvorland, here is a brief outline of the schemphorash angel work I did before starting the goetic sequence.

Evoke Angel N to Visible Appearance in Shewstone
0 Statement of Intent
1 LBRP
2 SS
3 Prayers of Sephirah
4 Watchtower
5 Sigilum Die Aemeth
6 Prayer of Enoch
7 Graeco Egyptian Fragment
8 Enochian Invokation
9 Invokation of Archangel of Cardinal point
10 Invoke Angel N
11 Psalm mantra
12 Liber ‘o’ contact Angel N
13 Return with Angel N
14 Once temple psychic sitting up; Enochian invocation for Angel N to appear in crystal
15 Temple psychic communicates with Angel N
16 Magus converse with Angel N at physical
17 Licence Angel N to depart
18 Licence cardinal point Archangel to depart
19 LBRP
20 Tetelestai
21 Record

Psalm mantra is the appropriate psalm in hebrew chanted, my wife has a theology degree and helps me in saying the psalm in hebrew correctly, she is also the temple psychic. The angel appears in the centre of the circle on the table of shewbread design (shown in temple gear thread), in a quartz crystal sphere. Whilst the temple psychic had contact early on and could tell me stuff I did not see the angel even faintly until the 20th practice. When I first did this kind of work it was nearer the 40th practice before I saw the angel I was working with.

I verifyied what I saw by eg asking temple psychic what the angel was gesturing and what it had just said. If she then confirmed what i had seen and heard I felt that the vision was genuine. From this I conclude the following: Either we were both physically seeing the angel or the intensity of the practice was causing psychicism in me and I was having the same psychic input that the temple psychic can achieve due to her immense natural talent. Often in the first few workings were I saw nothing the temple psychic would convey to me from the angel, guidance on how to improve the ritual structure to help with physical seeing of the angel in the shewstone. These instruction perhaps are not universalistic however.

The angel contacted in this work would be directly related to the goetic demon to be later evoked to visible appearance.
axismundi

Postby Gordon Finn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:27 am

How long did it take you to go through 0 to 21. That seems...long.
Gordon Finn
Grand Conjurer

PreviousNext

Return to Grimoire Tradition